Saturday, March 10, 2012

Where Lilacs Still Bloom by Jane Kirkpatrick

Where Lilacs Still Bloom: A NovelWhere Lilacs Still Bloom: A Novel by Jane Kirkpatrick
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Jane Kirkpatrick has written "Where Lilacs Still Bloom".
Were I not a gardener by the time I finished this book I do believe that I would be.
A German woman with only little education had a burning desire in her for beauty and lilacs, she spent much of her life working to make them sturdier-prettier and More then they were. Her work with the lilacs began after she wanted to change the apple orchard so they would have larger more tasty apples, and grafted to make this happen.
She started with three plants to grow her lilac gardens into massive proportions. It took much patience-much work and many years to make it all happen.
There were many floods that threatened to remove her gardens from her Washington home and several family tragedys that shook her faith but she always rallied and with the support and help of her family she brought the garden to "Greatness"
Hulda Klaeger even surprised herself after working so hard over the years when she did get the color and multiple leaves she wanted.
I believe that because of her great love of the beauty of flowers and her diligence she had a long life, she outlived her husband, all her children and siblings. What a wonderful woman that lived and shared her life with so many through the gardens..
Today you can still see the gardens when "Lilac Days" have their events in Washington and you might even see some Klager Lilacs.

I was given this book by WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Grp to read and review, thank you for allowing me to express my thoughts...

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment