Monday, February 2, 2015

The Diary of Mattie SpenserThe Diary of Mattie Spenser by Sandra Dallas
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Sandra Dallas writes novel "The Diary of Mattie Spenser"

I was not sure I would like the story being in diary form, but...The story went well and I enjoyed reading Mattie's story.

The story begins with Hazel(relative of Mattie) is in her 90's and a neighbor who is good friend helps her sort trough things so she can move to a nursing home.
The neighbor likes hearing the old stories and when they find a diary she is so excited and Hazel lets her have the diary to read.  It is written quite unusually as they did in the old days -after writing regular way page is turned and written crossways to have more paper.  Little hard to decipher, yet she did and the story was amazing.
I liked Mattie a lot and felt sorry that she had been used the way she had.  She was not a beauty but a strong woman and this was feature that had Luke asking her to marry and travel to the plains with him to live.
She learns to love the man she married so quickly but it takes Luke many years before he truly appreciates the woman he married.
You will like the way Sandra tells this story and of the hardships- small pleasures and faith that they live out in the plains.


View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. Ohhhhhh I read this book! A long time ago! I loved it, it was very good! I think I read some other ones by her too after reading this. Isn't there a sequel? I think there is and I think I read it.
    I'll check on that and get back to you. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I knew it. I've read 3 by her - New Mercies, and Alice's Tulips.
      And I don't think there was a sequel to Mattie.

      Delete